Gufodotto would like you to read these:

Friday, January 12, 2007

What am I reading...

As promised, here I am ready to disclose my last reads to you.

Well, I already said some time ago that I was going to start "The Botany of Desire" over the Xmas Holidays, so i did. very interesting book, talking about the effect that four plants have had on human civilisations, and we've had on them: the four plants are the Apple, the Tulip, the Cannabis, and the Potato. The book is very well written, as the author is a regular writer for the NY Times. But to my opinion, something is missing: a photographic insert would only have improved it - description are good, but as the provers says, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Other than that, i thouroughly enjoyed it and plan on reading at least some of the references cited, especially those regarding the expansion of the european ecosystem over the americas (and likewise) - and at least one book regarding the rise of angiosperms, that is, plants with flowers (and fruits).

Now that I've finished it, though, what will I read? well, my lovely girlfriend made me a wonderful present, for Xmas: Freakonomics (link to the author's website and blog), which already from the title is the kind of book I am liking more and more... more on this as soon as I start reading it (tonight, outside the airport waiting for her to get back from the eternal city.

No comments: