Gufodotto would like you to read these:

Friday, May 11, 2007

28 (insert period of time) later

I loved 28 days later, by Danny Boyle. I was living in England at the time, so it made much more of an impression. Although, not quite as much as his funny sibling Shawn of the Dead. The idea of few survivors in a wasteland seems to work particularly well in England, I don't know why.

Oldest thing I can remember with this subject is The death of grass by John Christopher. Then, of course, 1984 by George Orwell, V 4 Vendetta by Alan Moore. There's more probably, but can't think of any right now. Something from Greg Ballard may be - although he's never been in my favorites' list. Oh yes, let's not forget the greyish Children of Men. Oh yes, The Day of the Triffids

Anyway I was disheartened when I discovered that the Americans were shooting 28 weeks later. It did seem like a foolish follow-up - Quite frankly, I though it was going to be crap.

But then, I read the NY Times review of the movie, surprisingly positive, and I understood (once more) that I seem to be unable to catch analogies - and here the focus of the movie is to show the relationship between the american occupation troops and the surviving UK population, being reintroduced in the de-populated cities. and what will happen if those undefended people turn out to be re-infected, once again, in a situation parallel to the one in Iraq where everybody could be a suicide bomber.

Clever uh?

May be I'll give the movie a shot. If it's only half as scary as the previous one, It'll be well worth it.

A final word: God I wish that someone made a movie out of the death of grass.

No comments: